Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I Don't Speak Lolcatz...

For the longest time, perhaps in history, Smarah was trying to teach me how to use BBM. (Now that I've disguised her name I feel a bit better about saying it) Email after email, she was giving me the simplest directions and yet I was not comprehending how things should work. She was kind and repeated things for my benefit, even though said convo was taking place in the wee hours of the morning. I was lost and confused. She continued to take things slow, the same pace at which my mind processes information. Things were lost in translation. Mostly on my part. Finally, there was some clarity and things got easier. A little.

With that said, technology and I don't get along. I don't really understand how a Blackberry even functions. When I got it, it was because I thought it was "soooo cute." I have to read manuals to master taping shows on my VCR. Then I have to use trial and error because I didn't understand the manual. Then I have to hide the fact that I have a VCR and watch cassettes on it because people say I am living in the past.

I have never upgraded my computer. It is an original Windows ME, bought at the turn of the 21st century. And before that, I was using a very lame Windows computer from the late 90's. Prior to that, my mom and I were using her original Windows PC circa 1989-ish. My laptop was a hand-me-down from my mother.

If I could have it my way, they would still make radios with tape players. I would jam all day to my Janet Jackson and Spice Girls cassettes. I don't understand these new flat screen TVs. Cars that lock themselves scare me. I am still amazed by automatic seatbelts.

I do appreciate mp3 players, but if my Zune wasn't stolen awhile back, I would still be using the first...um...generation? I haven't wandered into the Apple store for over a yr. And the first time I went wasn't even for the...um...Apple stuff? But I do like the word Apps. I'll start using it regardless of the context, I think.

Even still, technology and I go together like cherry coke and surge protectors.

Deuces,
Erika

2 comments:

MACK said...

I still have no idea what LOLCatz are.

Valentina said...

The only technology I love and appreciate is my macbook. This damn computer is my child, except better cause children will only grow up to disappoint you.