Monday, June 30, 2008

Now 28!

Everyone has to remember at least one Now CD. It's short for Now That's What I Call Music! in case you didn't know. Some of the heavy hitters from the most recent Now are:

Leona Lewis "Bleeding Hearts"
Lil Wayne "Lollipop"
OneRepublic "Stop And Stare"
Metro Station "Shake It"
Daughtry "Feels Like Tonight"

As you can see this Now is a veritable bevy of Top 40 singles. But don't fret, some of pop's best rejected dumpster babies are here too. There's obvi a lot going on on this thing. Since I used to work at the 99X radio station, which shared a floor with Q100 (the Top 40 station), I hate popular music. I have to emphasize because I actually love pop music, but I can't stand popular music.

Um, except for "Tears On My Guitar" by Taylor Swift. Oh shit, do I love that song.

Moving on, with the rushing excitement of Now 28's debut, I thought I would do some research. It's been 28 years of great music, right? There have got to be some amazing tracks between now and 1980. Let's see...here is the tracklisting for Now 1:

Janet Jackson - Together Again
The Backstreet Boys - As Long As You Love Me
Fastball - The Way
Harvey Danger - Flagpole Sitta
Spice Girls - Say You'll Be There
KCi & JoJo - All My Life
All Saints - Never Ever
Tonic - If You Could Only See
Hanson - Mmmbop
Cherry Poppin' Daddies - Zoot Suit Riot
Imajin - Shorty (You Keep Playin' With My Mind)
Brian McKnight - Anytime
Aqua - Barbie Girl
Radiohead - Karma Police
Everclear - I Will Buy You A New Life
Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away
Marcy Playground - Sex and Candy

Holy shit! Even though I wasn't born in 1980, I remember almost all of those songs. I used to rock out to Spice Girls, Janet, Marcy Playground, and THE BACKSTREET BOYS!!! like it was going out of style.

It's been a long 28 years, no?

Deuces,
Erika

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the first now (that you have the playlist of) actually came out in 1998, which i remember because i got it for my birthday in kindergarten :)

Erika said...

Oh, cool.