Saturday, June 21, 2008

Katy Perry Is NOT Peaches

I don't hate Katy Perry. I don't like Katy Perry. I am completely ambivalent when it comes to her music. I will note that she is gorgeous. I will note that she really likes her cat. I will note that she has beef with Sarah Morrison. I will also note:

THAT SHE IS NOT, NOR WILL SHE EVER BE PEACHES.

Having forayed into that big uber world of music journalism, I know that proper reviews are written chock full of references to other musicians the reviewee may sound like. I.e. saying White Hinterland is reminiscent of a "Samson" era Regina Spektor. Because it helps you understand what the album or artist under review sounds like. It's convenient. It's passively pretentious, because it suggests that the reviewer has such a vast knowledge of music that they can liken current musicians to older artists without even thinking twice. It is the bread and butter of a music journalist. I get it.

But this must stop:

Not since Peaches has a saucy songstress taken sass this far. Over singsongy antipop ballads, Perry skewers all that the scene--and plain good taste--holds sacred. Sample lyric: "You're so indie-rock it's almost an art/ You need SPF 45/ Just to stay alive."

Okay. This is incorrect. Having been a fan of Peaches circa Impeach My Bush I can easily say she doesn't even run in the same spectrum as Katy Perry. So stop saying that, alright? It's not Katy's fault. She doesn't write these retarded reviews. But all music journalists, real (music site, magazine) or not (blog), just find someone else to say she sounds like. Please!

Kthxbai.

Deuces,
Erika

0 comments: