Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I'm Confused

What is going on with fashion? Are we out of rules, guidelines, trends, and do's and don't's? Is it just everything and anything goes and if you look like a schizophrenic 57 year old bag lady then you are cool because you have your own style?

As it is, I've never bought much into trends (except for skinnies, which will never die in my eyes, and leggings, because they are the amazing bastard child of comfort and style), and I've always been an advocate of personal style and that whole Fuck you, I wear what I want, bitch! attitude. But uh, street style is turning into a circus. We need some serious Allure's Top 5 Beauty Trends and Nylon's Fashion issue over here like whoa. Before I mistake walking down the street as tripping on a speedball.

Like, are designers just creating tacky shit because they know people will buy it? Cos I will slap a Prada label on a bedazzled sack cloth and sell millions if that is how ish is going down. This is getting out of hand.
I think the new rule of fashion is:

As long as you are between a size 00 and size 2, you may wear anything you want. This includes circus tents, Hammer pants, AA dresses, bikini tops as shirts, those weird gladiators heels, dresses made out of paper that are stapled at the seams, bikini bottoms as shorts, and pretty much anything that a six year old would wear to her birthday party.

Miss Wintour, you may call me for more pointers for your annual fashion issue. Kthx.

This ain't a scene, it' a goddamn Mardi Gras parade. (images via facehunter and click/clash)

Deuces,
Erika

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uhh, some of those images (I'm looking at you weird hammer pants chick) haved literally burned my retinas. Much as I love overplayed, ugly fashion trends, I'm gonna stick with my current style, which I helpfully describe as "Blair Waldorf on acid".

Erika said...

Haha. Gossip Girl x Gateway drugs.
Hmmm, hey V (can I call you V, I'm gonna call you V) I have a quesh. So the Matt & Kim show tonight, I can get into it but my bf doesn't want to go anymore and I don't have any other 21+ friends. Should I go anyway by myself or just not go? Help!!! The show is in a few hours.

Anonymous said...

Haha, course you can call me V! Hmm, personally I would still go by myself. I think you can still have fun without other people and than you get the chance to meet new cool friends. So I say go, have fun, take pictures, and than brag about how awesome it was to your bf/friends!

Erika said...

Thanks V! I guess I will go...if I am mugged, date raped, carjacked, or beaten up in a mosh pit, the blame goes to you.
Just kidding! Gawd, I kinda wish I lived in NY then I would have a few more people to do things with. You seem like you're always down for some underage sneaking in fun!

Anonymous said...

Oh god! Never mind, DO NOT GO!! This is clearly far too dangerous for you to go to! You should come and take and road trip to NYC. I think my real purpose in life is to sneak into underage events!

Erika said...

Haha. Don't worry about me. I'll be okay girl. That's just how every show at the Drunken Unicorn is. Isn't it like 20 hundred hours from Atlanta to NY? One day I will do it though. And I'll come see you and by that time I should be a master at sneaking in to underage events. But you'll prolly be in LA and then I can show you around! Rad! Oh, and btw, so we don't fill up this comment space with talking amongts ourselves, you can always just email me girl!

Anonymous said...

Haha, but it's waay more fun to fill up the comments section. I mean this way anyone checking out your blog thinks you're like the next big thing!! JK, I'll start emailing you.
DUDE. You totes have to show me around LA when I get out there. I know nothing about LA except that my life will probs be over when I get there because I don't drive.

Erika said...

Oh dude you'll be fine w/o a car. It'll take you a hell of a lot more time to get to places but my cousins didn't have a car and they just rode the bus everywhere. And if we do indeed run into each other in La La Land, I can always take you around in my white jeep cherokee. The bumper sticker plastered trunk is pretty awesome to be seen in.

Erika said...

Plus the guy who was supposed to put me on the RSVP list for the show tonight didn't pick up his phone, so I guess I'm not going. Le sigh. I guess I'll just go downtown, pick up some ciggies, and eat my weight in tacos at El Mexicano (awesome mexican restaurant)...

Anonymous said...

Aww, lame. I was excited to live vicariously through you in the crazy Atlanta party scene. Damn, between you and missbehave, I really want some taco bell like right nows.
If I had a car it would totally be covered in bumper stickers. People would get a headache from looking at it.