Monday, July 21, 2008

Pinup Tattoos

For the longest time, I've been playing with the idea of getting a tattoo. I haven't mostly because I'm too lazy to go to the tat shop and make an appointment, although they do allow walk-ins. Still, I don't have the motivation to go, but I do have the motivation to get a tattoo before I move to LA, because then I'll have to do the research on a good parlor all over again. Like hell could I afford (time and money wise) to schlep to Hollywood and go to LA Ink.

But prior to me turning 18, I was super stoked to get a tattoo, so I did a ton of research on designs and art. I've decided to get a Fafi drawing on my right arm, namely this one:

But that still leaves me with a personal conundrum. All my life (or at least since 9th grade), I've sort of been in love with pin-up art. It's just really cute and really timeless to me. Mostly I just love Gil Elvgren, because his, to me, is the best. After spending hours on the computer trying to find a picture, I found these two:

Only, she's going to be sitting on old records and her hand is going to be on a phonograph. That's one of these, for those who don't know.

Because of the colors she's wearing, I think I would make her a lot tanner, closer to my skin tone, but lighter of course so it would show up really well against my skin.

I just haven't decided where to put it. My back seems like the most obvious option because of the space, but I don't want to get a tattoo and then not be able to see it all the time. I like constant reminders of hard work and having fun. I could put it on my stomach, but that's not gonna stay tight and taut forever and I would prefer my tattoo not gain weight as I did.

So does anyone have any advice for trying to get sort of large tats? Anyone have a large tat? Anyone come across more amazing Gil Elvgren pin-ups?

Deuces,
Erika

4 comments:

Jtalk said...

I love fafi her stuff is so fun. For my art class in school I researched allot of artist and other things and for one project I was looking at pin ups. So I recommend checking out Alberto Vargas's stuff it's really good though allot of his work is nudes, you can find some good clothed pinup girls.I don't think I'll ever get a tatoo but If I did I always wanted it on my wrist, though that probably hurts allot. Best of luck deciding what to get and where to get it!

Mz.Sullivan said...

Great Idea Erika. Very original and dope.

Erika said...

@Jtalk: I like Vargas' work too, and yeah, alot of it is nude, but it's gorgeous, so I'll check up on it, and yeah tats hurt but not really as much as people say they do.
@Mz. Sullivan: Thanks! I try to stay as fresh as possible. I think when I go I want my tombstone to say I was Fresh To Death!

MACK said...

i love the fafi idea. I have a tat, its on my lower/front hip and its pretty small but, ive been toying with the idea of getting another one. i agree with not being able to see the tat...you can see my tat unless i show you or for some strange reason im not wearing any pants.....

but i was thinking my inner arm or wrist.

for something big, inner arm might be good, or if ur brave, go for the sleeve tat.